Back in the winter of 2008 while training a course that included a Black Belt in Karate who owns his own Martial Arts Dojo, a conversation occurred that changed the way I train NLP.
He asked me, “Can people ‘buy’ NLP Certification in the same way some people ‘buy’ black belts?” In other words are there NLP Trainers who don’t care about standards and quality and essentially run diploma mills?
(the answer is yes by the way)
That inspired the further question; “What does having a Black Belt (or an NLP certification) really mean?”.
The worlds of NLP and martial arts worlds share many similarities:
- There are many ‘styles’ but no single overarching governing body
- Trainers can promote themselves by making up styles, levels or techniques.
- You can find a rainbow of belts in different martial arts disciplines, and the world of NLP
- Both fields can become very personality, guru or hero-driven by out of control egos.
- The rubber meets the road when it comes to skill, competence and the ability to get things done
The only solid value is in making sure that students acquire all the skills, competence and confidence necessary to be flexible and strong in any situation.
Back in the world of NLP, unfortunately the term “Certified Practitioner” means that the person has taken anywhere between 2 – 18 days of training. In a recent email exchange with Dr. John Grinder we were discussing the trend of short courses and he wrote,
“In my opinion a 6-day NLP Practitioner Certification is pretty much a joke. – Dr. John Grinder”
So now we come to the DOJO model of NLP. If you’re new to the field, here is some cold hard truth: PROPER NLP Training costs a few thousand dollars and requires at LEAST 120 hours of classroom training both to attain certification criteria AND to confer the skills necessary to competently present yourself as a Practitioner.
The biggest roadblocks to people taking NLP Training are:
Time, Money and Mystery.
- How long is it going to take? – Time
- How much will it cost? – Money
- What am I going to get out of this and is this the company that will train me properly? – Mystery
Now, if you think of a martial arts club you know it is going to take some time, but you don’t know how much until you have the SKILLS to perform all the requirements necessary to be an expert (or Black Belt). You don’t know how much you’ll pay in membership fees, but you do have an idea of what you’re going to get out of BEING a black belt…because that’s kinda the point, yes?
So here is what we’re about:
- NLP Dojo Students will receive 180 hours of LIVE Classroom Training
- NLP Dojo training exceeds all national and international NLP standards of accreditation
- The NLP DOJO is also a meeting place for NLP Practitioners to practice their NLP and hone their skills (at a greatly reduced monthly fee) At NLP Dojo we are proud to provide you with
We will be opening up NLP Dojos across the Greater Toronto Area in the coming months…and a LIVE ONLINE NLP DOJO as well, all with a reasonable monthly fee.
The NLP Dojo runs Wednesday Evenings at 7pm in Mississauga.
If you are interested in attending, please send an email to reserve your spot! There are a limited number of spots available.